Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Library Principle
The Granville County Library System acknowledges and respects the presence of differences that may include race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality, socioeconomic status, language, (dis)ability, age, or religious commitment.
We believe that to provide equitable and inclusive access, the Granville County Library System must work closely with diverse communities to understand their needs and aspirations, so that the library can respond appropriately with collections and services to meet those needs. Here are some things we are currently doing in support of DEI Library Principles
The Granville County Library System will commit to providing equitable access by:
- Providing collections and programs which accurately and authentically reflect the cultural perspectives of diverse communities within our service area.
- Ensuring that patrons feel welcomed, appreciated, valued, and empowered to be themselves and thrive.
- Promoting library services through communication channels, networks and community events organized by minority & underserved groups. We will strive to bring services to such individuals through outreach and partnership efforts at cultural events and through community-based organizations.
- Using local & social media and through statistical analysis, we will find ways to leverage diversity data to create actionable change. Having an analytics-based approach will be the key to understanding how to improve D.E.I. Library Principles.
- Providing services which address the unique needs of specific communities.
- Creating a robust staff and consistently training & engaging employees to be mindful and respectful of the diversity within our community.
- Investing in recruitment strategies that build a diverse staff so that all people see themselves represented in the administration, management, and delivery of library services.
- Create the conditions that are favorable for hiring, retaining, and educating a diverse workforce that will serve all members of the community with empathy and respect.
Providing library service support to community events that highlight different cultures by planning and implementing new services to respond to community needs.
The Granville County Library System will continue to be a welcoming, all-inclusive community organization by promoting literacy (both digital & in print), lifelong learning opportunities, cultural enrichment, and historical preservation.
Continuing support of D.E.I. Library Principles will be evident by our ongoing efforts to plan, initiate, and produce new services to respond to community needs. We commit to provide equal access to information, lead in literacy, and inspire our community to grow and learn together.
Our interactions with our patrons & each other will demonstrate our Ongoing Commitment to D.E.I. giving everyone what they need to succeed by increasing access, resources, and opportunities for all; especially for those who are underrepresented and have been historically disadvantaged. We strive to provide a welcoming culture in which differences are celebrated and everyone is valued, respected, and able to reach their full potential.
“FOSTERING AN ENVIRONMENT THAT COMMITS TO MEETING THE NEEDS OF THE PEOPLE”